Sunday, September 9, 2012

So Long, Sunday Nap

My Sunday afternoon nap is not going to happen today. This weekly ritual, that has occurred no less than the last thirty-two years (subtract about three years for the times as kid that I skipped it in fear I'd miss something), is one I cherish deeply. One that will continue with me for the rest of my life. Except for this day. Curses!

I don't know about other religions (side note: would be very interested to hear if you have this kind of thing in your faith community!), but in most forms of the Christian world, this time to pause is one that is a pretty big deal, whether done consciously or not. Thank you, God. I love you for many things, but most definitely for inventing the nap.

While I don't subscribe to a complete rest with no activity on this day, I like the idea of having time to easily force myself to chill out in the middle of the afternoon, with nothing to do but close my eyes and gather drool on my pillowcase...which reminds me, time to change the sheets. Most times this relaxation occurs after a full, early morning of church, lunch post-service with friends, and a doze finally happening sometime in mid-afternoon. It is heavenly rejuvenation.

Oh, but not today. Our landlord is showing our apartment to a host of perspective building buyers. We smile and nod and say "Welcome to our home", as they trod their boots and eyes everywhere from the front closet to our bedroom. "Yes, please see our private boudoir where I should be sleeping right now." Our home is very open and welcoming to all, but this is a little ridiculous. 

And here they come again.

No comments: